The Political Lounge

Founding Fathers: 1789 - ????

MrPotatoTed

And we're back to the President's round!

@ConservativeElector2, you're up!  President John Jay may do any of the following, in any order.

Appoint your cabinet.  Remember all Secretaries must be Conservative, except for a maximum of one liberal.

Decide whether to replace Charles C Pinckney as General (or you can leave him in place).  If you replace him, it must be with someone who has the "M" designation (military) and a ability level of at least 2.

Propose creating Tariff II OR propose repealing Tariff I (you can only take one tariff action in your four year term, whether that's proposing or repealing).

Propose any number of new taxes.

Request an issue (you'll need to complete 4 issues, to reach the next Presidential election).

I've bolded the items that are mandatory, rest are optional.

Edited by MrPotatoTed

@ConservativeElector2 currently, we are $67 million in debt.  We project to receive $40 million from tariff I, which will leave us $27 million in debt (plus interest) at the end of your four year term.

That's not terrible...as long as you don't reach $100 million+ in debt, there's no serious consequence...but of course you'll have more breathing room if you can achieve a surplus.

Edited by MrPotatoTed

3 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

@MrPotatoTed let's request the issue in the meantime.

Coming right up!

For each player, I'll break down the gameplay details for your first issue, the first time you become President.  After that, you're on your own!  (Of course, I remain happy to answer any questions.

ISSUE ONE

The shocking death of the newly re-elected and beloved President Washington sent shockwaves across the 13 states, but President Washington was not the only notable leader to die that year.  38-year-old French King Louis XVI, having failed to recoup his nation's economic or military standing following his support of the American revolution and then his attack on US ships in the Caribbean, was arrested, imprisoned, and executed by his own people -- who quickly declared an end to the Monarchy.  France was now a Republic.

But they would not have an easy time of it.  In addition to a smoldering Civil War, France found itself simultaneously at war with Prussia, Austria, the Dutch Republic, Spain, Great Britain, Portugal, Naples, Tuscany, and the Holy Roman Empire -- though in some of these wars, France was the primary aggressor. 

300,000 Frenchmen, including the former Queen Marie Antoinette, were soon dead, with no end in sight.  

Maximilien Robespierre, an influential and inspiring French Revolutionary of the time who argued for democratic voting rights and the abolishment of slavery, was appointed by the French Committee of Public Safety to travel to the US and plead for American support of the French people.  While it was understood that America had no true army to offer, it was hoped they would at least send financial support to help stabilize the country of France -- their former allies -- before the country was permanently wiped off the map.

AE8B9F61-8C0C-4292-86FF-AA5F0CDD90F5.thumb.jpeg.246419a34748b46e8dbab08e7dabc427.jpeg.0aa9b3b1a37ce9ea82d095467bf2b8d7.jpeg

Your options, @ConservativeElector2:

1) Decide to honor our alliance with France and send financial support.  You'll need to first appoint a Secretary of State, who may agree with your decision or refuse (if they refuse, skip to 2).  Your Secretary of State will need to have an ability of 5 to pull this off.  There are no statesmen in the game with an ability of 5 -- so regardless of who you appoint, there will need to be an expenditure of IP to reach that 5 level.  The Sec of State will then send this to congress.  If Congress refuses to support France, skip to 2.  Otherwise, Public Support moves to +2 Liberal (hurting your re-election chances), but you as party leader will gain 1 IP which might make the rest of Jay's presidency easier.  On the other hand, we'd be taking on an additional $60 million of debt.

2)  Refuse Robespierre's request (or the Sec of State refuses, or congress refuses):  Public support goes to +2 Conservative, helping your re-election chances -- but your presumed opponent, Thomas Jefferson, gains 3 influence points as Liberal Party Leader.  Note that if you refuse the request, you are not yet required to appoint a Secretary of State.

You would normally have a 3rd option of deferring to your Vice President...but the position is currently vacant.

What say you, @ConservativeElector2?

Ok, I've processed all the posts.  Secretary of State John Adams remains perceived as the likely heir to President Jay (as the second most popular Conservative).  There's no change to the liberal lineup (Jefferson as leader, 87-year-old Ben Franklin as his heir).

4 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Haha, great.  As long as they agreed to you in private, that's good enough for me.

In that case, I'll go ahead and process them on the sheet.

The only one I didn't talk about was Rufus King I believe, but I don't think Hestia is going to object.

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

@ConservativeElector2 do you want to do the French Demand Support issue, the tariff, or the tax first?

Tariff and Tax first, I need more time to think about France

• Like 1

Ok.

@Hestia Secretary of Treasury Timothy Pickering, will you propose Tariff II and/or a Sugar and Salt Tax to congress?

And if so...how?

The tariff has a difficulty of 3, the tax has a difficulty of 4.  You have an ability level of 1.  You'll need to spend 2 IP to propose the tariff (1 ability + 2 IP = 3 Difficulty), and 3 IP to propose the tax.  You currently have only 1 IP.

You'll either need to convince the other players to donate faction IP to you for the good of our nation's financial health, or give up on the plan for now.

23 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

@MrPotatoTed

Here's my Cabinet (again):

State: John Adams

Treasury: Timothy Pickering

War: CC Pinckney

Envoy: Rufus King

Chief Justice: leave it as it is obviously

General: T Pinckney

Propose creating Tariff II 

AND

propose SUGAR AND SALT TAX

I accept!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Ok.

@Hestia Secretary of Treasury Timothy Pickering, will you propose Tariff II and/or a Sugar and Salt Tax to congress?

And if so...how?

The tariff has a difficulty of 3, the tax has a difficulty of 4.  You have an ability level of 1.  You'll need to spend 2 IP to propose the tariff (1 ability + 2 IP = 3 Difficulty), and 3 IP to propose the tax.  You currently have only 1 IP.

You'll either need to convince the other players to donate faction IP to you for the good of our nation's financial health, or give up on the plan for now.

First, I accept. Second, I only have one IP to add so we need 3 IP if we hope to get this all done. @ConservativeElector2 @Magnus Rex and @themiddlepolitical especially. @WVProgressive and @Pringles if interested.

1 minute ago, Hestia said:

First, I accept. Second, I only have one IP to add so we need 3 IP if we hope to get this all done. @ConservativeElector2 @Magnus Rex and @themiddlepolitical especially. @WVProgressive and @Pringles if interested.

Just a clarification:  you’ll need 4 IP to get this all done.

2 IP to pass the tariff + 3 IP to pass the tax - the 1 IP you have = 4.

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

Just a clarification:  you’ll need 4 IP to get this all done.

2 IP to pass the tariff + 3 IP to pass the tax - the 1 IP you have = 4.

Ah. I misunderstood the ability level application. My bad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

@MrPotatoTed Option 2 is the decision regarding France

President Jay refuses to meet with Robespierre, which is definitely a choice that will have no future consequences.  ;c)

Public support becomes +2 Conservative.  Opposition leader Thomas Jefferson gains 3 personal influence points @Pringles.