The Political Lounge

Founding Fathers: 1789 - ????

MrPotatoTed

With the death of President Washington and the resurrection of Ben Franklin...

* Ben Franklin returns to his post as presumptive heir to liberal party leader Thomas Jefferson.

* In addition to getting the Presidency, John Jay also advances from heir to Conservative Party Leader.

* Former VP John Adams reclaims his spot as presumptive heir to the Conservative Party, behind President Jay.

• Like 1

Time for the bonus round!

Each player may bid a # of influence points.  Person who bids the most influence gains a card, and also gets to take a bonus action.  (Remember that actually taking the action will cost an additional IP).

We start with President @ConservativeElector2.  Will you bid any IP?  (You can use faction and/or statesman IP for this).

We go in the following order.  Each consecutive bid must be higher than the one before it.  If nobody bids, nobody gets the bonus.

@ConservativeElector2
@Pringles
@themiddlepolitical
@Hestia
@WVProgressive
@Magnus Rex

While we wait for @ConservativeElector2, who is on Europe Time and thus hopefully asleep, a question for the group:

The game designer flagged that the "Hand of Time" card is from an old draft of the game and not balanced for gameplay -- it's continued use will result in a higher rate of deaths than the game was designed for.

Do we want to remove it from the game?  Or keep it in?

Let me know what you think, majority rules.  (Washington's death happens regardless, I'm just talking about future use of the card).

@Magnus Rex @ConservativeElector2 @Pringles @Hestia @themiddlepolitical @WVProgressive

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

While we wait for @ConservativeElector2, who is on Europe Time and thus hopefully asleep, a question for the group:

The game designer flagged that the "Hand of Time" card is from an old draft of the game and not balanced for gameplay -- it's continued use will result in a higher rate of deaths than the game was designed for.

Let me know what you think, majority rules.  (Washington's death happens regardless, I'm just talking about future use of the card).

@Magnus Rex @ConservativeElector2 @Pringles @Hestia @themiddlepolitical @WVProgressive

What happens otherwise? Do they die at historical points or is it still somewhat random otherwise?

3 minutes ago, Hestia said:

What happens otherwise? Do they die at historical points or is it still somewhat random otherwise?

Somewhat random.  Specifically, there are issues that...in addition to being normal issues...also have a "hand of time" icon on them where you roll a die to see which of the 3 oldest statesmen died.  

I recognized that the Hand of Time card was from an old draft, but thought the issues were also from an old draft and thus balanced for that.  I was wrong.  Haha.

Edited by MrPotatoTed

5 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I vote we keep it, but since a hand of time card being played benefited me quite dramatically, I'm a bit biased.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

I vote we keep it, but since a hand of time card being played benefited me quite dramatically, I'm a bit biased.

I am of a similar mindset. Although I'm accepting of whatever the final verdict may be lol

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I suppose the other option is to keep the Hand of Time cards as-is, but ignore when a Hand of Time skull is on an issue.  That would in theory balance correctly.  In theory.  Untested.

You could also half the amount of hands of time cards in the deck for a middle ground option. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Time for the bonus round!

Each player may bid a # of influence points.  Person who bids the most influence gains a card, and also gets to take a bonus action.  (Remember that actually taking the action will cost an additional IP).

We start with President @ConservativeElector2.  Will you bid any IP?  (You can use faction and/or statesman IP for this).

We go in the following order.  Each consecutive bid must be higher than the one before it.  If nobody bids, nobody gets the bonus.

@ConservativeElector2
@Pringles
@themiddlepolitical
@Hestia
@WVProgressive
@Magnus Rex

I'll pass.

I am good either way when it comes to the time card.

• Like 1

I support keeping the Hand of Time as an action in addition to the skulls on random issues

If we start burning through the roster of all available statesmen too quickly, we can reevaluate maybe disregarding the issue skulls but still allowing players to strategize forced retirements with action cards 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@WVProgressive?  You'll need to bid at least 2 IP if you want to win it.

I’ll pass, thank you.

• Like 1