The Political Lounge

Thoughts on Ukraine

DakotaHale

9 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Maybe so.

But we are talking about the world's largest nuclear power. It is much more complicated than just putting ourselves in a military conflict. Unless we are willing to face the possibility of nuclear conflict, war must be used only as a last resort. And Ukraine is not the last resort.

Though it would be nice to have some competent leadership in the White House right now. There is no doubt that Biden's abysmal Afghanistan failure set the stage for this aggression. Putin knows he is the smarter/stronger leader and is taking advantage of it.

Exactly -- though I wouldn't put it squarely on Biden.  Biden is only the latest in a threesome of weak Foreign Affairs Presidents (Obama, Trump, Biden).  

It has been clear post George W Bush that America has zero appetite for further military engagements.  This provides the vacuum that Russia eagerly steps into.

Yes, obviously Russia has nuclear weapons.  And they may well be willing to fire them to protect Russia proper, possibly.  But would they really engage in suicidal  mutual annihilation over their desires to expand into Ukraine?  I don't think so.

• Based 1

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

As a wartime journalist who called out dubious and inaccurate claims by politicians during a war, and was told a similar response, had said,

"If not now, when? When such tidbits are engrained, immovably, in the zeitgeist?"

Besides, I'm trying to stop myself from making an angry rant at the stupidity and soulless arrogance of major world leaders as a whole. Because, this is not all Putin - he was enabled, encouraged, supported, or allowed to do so by other major world leaders - all of who also have blood on their hands from other butcher shop projects. Understand what I'm TRYING to avoid here. WORLD LEADERSHIP has failed - AGAIN - and innocent civilians - and conscripts, the statistical majority of both the Ukrainian and Russian Armed Forces - will die needlessly, and, once again, no one in power behind this, or who could have helped curb it at earlier stage - will suffer any consequences for it.

Yes I agree, world leadership has failed. But this post is about the ongoing situation currently. I do not need your historical input. It only causes arguments. 

All of us here were fine until you commented. I didn't want to respond to this. 

If you want a real reality check of a lesson here, it seems pretty clear to me that Ukraine is getting steamrolled right now. A multiple pronged attack, bombardments, airstrikes, special forces deployment, with the bulk soon to follow. This is moving quickly.  Which you yourself ridiculed months prior. Welcome to the death of the age of reason. Welcome to the Russian "Blitzkrieg." 

Putin is the aggressor right now. And he must be stopped. Who knows who the hell is next?

I urge you with every fiber in your mind, to NOT respond to what I just said here. Because I'm gonna report it. I'm tired of it. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I urge you with every fiber in your mind, to NOT respond to what I just said here. Because I'm gonna report it. I'm tired of it. 

No need to do so, unless something he posts break the rules.  If you find yourself that annoyed by something he (or anyone else) posts, just put them on block and ignore them.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

No need to do so, unless something he posts break the rules.  If you find yourself that annoyed by something he (or anyone else) posts, just put them on block and ignore them.

I will do so now. But when his ass is quoted every damn time like usual, you'll understand why I and others do what we do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Pringles said:

I will do so now. But when his ass is quoted every damn time like usual, you'll understand why I and others do what we do.

Sure, I used to have my conflicts with him too.  But then I came to realize that "ignore" isn't just a setting on the forum.  It's a setting in your brain, too.  You're not required to read what he writes, if you don't want to.

• Like 1

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

Sure, I used to have my conflicts with him too.  But then I came to realize that "ignore" isn't just a setting on the forum.  It's a setting in your brain, too.  You're not required to read what he writes, if you don't want to.

Indeed it is. It's a wonder however, with this setting in all our brains. Why these arguments still continue with all of us involved. Nevertheless, I say no more on the matter out of respect to you sir. 🙂 

• Like 1

This aggressive invasion by Russia is something that must not be tolerated. For too long leaders have allowed Putin a free hand to bring authoritarianism to the world and to destroy all freedom loving people including the people of Ukraine. It's time that all freedom loving countries to unite and react accordingly. Sanctions can only go so far, diplomacy can only go so far, it's time for action. Boots on the ground.

Too many have already lost their freedom under the thumb of the Kremlin and Putin. We can't let this domino fall, we've already let so many fall.

Operation Ukrainian Freedom.

God bless Ukraine and God bless all freedom loving countries.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@Pringles

I disagree with Patine, therefore I am reporting him for breaking forum rules. LOL

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Haha 1