The Political Lounge

Thoughts on Ukraine

DakotaHale

18 minutes ago, Patine said:

His statement of, "80 years," depends on how you define, "great power," (a term not seriously or motively used for a little over 100 years), and thus whether you you consider Israel or India, "great powers," and whether or not China, "conquered," Tibet in 1959. Although I understand the vector of his point, the historian in me cries out to make this statement. Forgive me!

Now is not the time.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

And he will keep doing so, forever, until someone finally stops him.

Maybe so.

But we are talking about the world's largest nuclear power. It is much more complicated than just putting ourselves in a military conflict. Unless we are willing to face the possibility of nuclear conflict, war must be used only as a last resort. And Ukraine is not the last resort.

Though it would be nice to have some competent leadership in the White House right now. There is no doubt that Biden's abysmal Afghanistan failure set the stage for this aggression. Putin knows he is the smarter/stronger leader and is taking advantage of it.