The Political Lounge

The Grassroots Divide: A 1772 Two-Player Populist Showdown

Cal

26 minutes ago, Cal said:

Incumbents are in for Representatives and Governor elections. Now is the time to add your challengers or withdraw your incumbents. I'll ask that if you do not seek reelection please say so 😛 

The Presidential election is crunched first, however, so without further ado.... 

Presidential Election of 1788 Preview

Extra extra, read all about it! RedModCPU John Bartram in talks with advisors to seek reelection, sources close to the President report. If President Bartram does decide to run for office once again, he'll take office for the 3rd time at the incredible age of 100. The nation is concerned with the celebrity botanist's health, but stunningly he's shown no signs of slowing down and letting that number affect his job performance. In his two terms thus far, he's secured an alliance with the Spanish and the French and almost secured an alliance with our former enemies the British. He brought the Indians in the Northwest to defeat in just months, and his super-cabinet of friends and foes alike have given the nation as strong of a foundation as they can for this era. He's this timeline's George Washington with all of the science and none of the military credentials. 

If and when the President does announce, experts predict a hectic vote in the electoral college. Despite Bartram easily winning reelection four years ago, national politics have changed and the various factions of both parties have grown to be more partisan, a worrying sign coming into a new chapter in the nation's fledgling history. 

Will President Bartram run for reelection? If so, will he dump his unofficial vice presidential candidate Dudley Saltonstall, who stole the office in the last election from now-Representative George Washington? Or will an entirely new field emerge?

Ambitious members of the Blue Party can sense blood in the air in the Presidential election, even if they know that their hopes are all but dead in many downballot races. The triple-Secretary team of Jefferson, Clinton, and Milton have all challenged the President and each other for the Presidency before. Will they offer a shattered resistance to President Bartram and the Red Party again, or will they unify around candidates in the hopes of the Red Party splintering itself? 

We'll all know soon enough 😛 

Locking in my incumbent actions: Rep. Lyman Hall of GA is running for governor. All other incumbents are running for reelection.

@Cal It looks like both your James Duane and my Rufus King are listed as governor of NY.

On 9/16/2022 at 3:42 PM, Cal said:

1784 Gubernatorial Elections

Connecticut
@Cal Benedict Arnold wins reelection over BlooCPU Thomas Chittenden after a recount, 9-9. 
Cal +100 points. 

Governor Arnold gains +1 Admin, Iron Fist. 

Delaware
@CalGovernor George Read wins reelection over BlooModCPU David Hall, 7-3. 
HHCal: 100 points.

Governor Read gains Iron Fist. 

Georgia
@Cal Governor William Cushing prevails over @Rezi John A Treutlen handily 8-5. 
Cal: 100 points.

Governor Cushing gains Economics.

Massachusetts
RedLibCPU James Bowdoin defeats BlooModCPU James Sullivan handily, 9-5. 
RedLibCPU: 100 points.

Governor Bowdoin gains Trade. 

Maryland
 RedLibCPU Governor William Smallwood (hehehe...) defeats @Rezi Robert Bowie in a blowout, 8-2. 

RedLibCPU William Smallwood gains Foreign Affairs. 

New York
@Cal Governor James Duane defeats BlooConCPU Abraham Yates Jr convincingly, 7-2. 
Cal +100 points. 

Governor Duane gains +1 Governing, +1 Admin. Controversial, Unlikable. 

North Carolina
BlooLibCPU Governor Cornelius Harnett is defeated by RedLibCPU Former Governor Samuel Johnston in their game of musical chairs with the governor's seat, 8-9. 
RedLibCPU: +100 points. 
BlooLibCPU: -500 points. 

Governor Johnston gains +1 Admin. Economics. 

New Hampshire
RedConCPU Governor John Sullivan wins in the most overwhelming blowout I've seen so far against BlooModCPU Meshech Weare, 13-2. 
RedConCPU: 100 points.

Governor Sullivan gains nothing. 

New Jersey
RedModCPU Governor Richard Stockton is unopposed. 
RedModCPU: 100 points.

Governor Stockton gains nothing. 

Pennsylvania
RedLibCPU Governor William Moore defeats BlooConCPU Former Governor John Dickinson in another rematch, 9-1.

Governor Moore gains Science. 

Rhode Island
RedConCPU Thomas Tillinghast defeats @Rezi Former Governor Arthur Fenner, 9-7.
RedConCPU: 100 points. 

Gains +1 Admin. Business. 

South Carolina
@Cal Governor Henry Laurens prevails over BlooLibCPU Christopher Gadsden, 10-5. 
HHCal: 100 points.

Governor Laurens gains Education. 

Virginia
BlooModCPU Governor Thomas Nelson Jr prevails over RedProgCPU Former Governor George Wythe, 9-4.
BlooModCPU +100 points.

Governor Nelson Jr gains +1 Admin. Agriculture. 

Final tally: 12 Red, 1 Bloo. 

@Cal Looks like Duane is the rightful governor. Not sure why King is marked as governor too. I'll change that on the sheets.

3 minutes ago, DJBillyShakes said:

Locking in my incumbent actions: Rep. Lyman Hall of GA is running for governor. All other incumbents are running for reelection.

@Cal It looks like both your James Duane and my Rufus King are listed as governor of NY.

Looking back in the forum, it looks my candidates won GA and NY gov in the last election and I forgot to update it on the sheet. I’ll check the version history on the election tab to make that’s accurate though (on mobile now so will probably be later or tomorrow night though)

53 minutes ago, Cal said:

Pre-12th Amendment Election Rules

Special Rules: 

Pre-Party Ticket Elections (pre-12th Amendment)

Prior to the 12th Amendment, we will use these steps:

1. Party Leader nominating candidates: The Party Leader’s faction will nominate 1 politician with at least 1 command for president and one for VP. They may select the Party Leader if he or she has command, and they may select one or both from another faction within their party. Players can decline nomination if they don’t want their politician to run for president or VP.  Exception for all this is – see Era of Good Feelings Rule

2. Faction Leaders concur or nominate an alternate: Faction member with the most politicians with Kingmaker of the specific party will go first (randomize if tied). If the person nominated for President is the incumbent, then only 1 alternate is allowed to be suggested. Otherwise, each faction can suggest one alternate. In general, one alternate is good because if the Pres and VP both get the same number of votes, then the election goes to the house, as such, you’ll want to suggest one alternative. These alternates are considered VP alternates but they could still become president.

3. Election: Once both parties select their Pres nom, VP nom, and alternates, then voting will proceed in every state. Every elector gets 2 votes (technically 1 for Pres and 1 for VP). Use the standard Election Day rules for states that allow the popular vote with the top two finishers in that state getting 1 vote each in that state. Otherwise, players will use politicians kingmakers and the two candidates that get the most kingmaker votes will get 1 vote each in that state. Should no politicians with kingmaker exist in a state, then the player controlling the Gov will make the decision.   Should there be a tie in kingmaker votes, the tie will be broken by the Governor’s party’s leader

4. Result: The top two finishers, regardless of party, when the 2 votes for each state are added up, the top vote getter will be President and 2nd vote getter will be VP. Both will lose “obscure.” If a tie, the vote goes to the US House.

I believe incumbents go first, so I'll kick it off with the Red Party Candidate selection in the next post and deciding Bartram's reelection decision. So, action to me on that end 😛 

Action also goes to the Blue Team to begin their own selection, starting with @Rezi getting to nominate a candidate for President and a candidate for VP. 

You all have from now until the time that the Presidential election is decided to get in your Governor and Representative candidates. When you've done so, please let me know. After the presidential election your candidates will be locked in and I'll process them afterwards. @Vols21 @DJBillyShakes @Alexander-Nicholas @ShortKing @Bushwa777 @jvikings1 @Rezi

My governor and representative candidates are in. I'll probably do another check tonight to make sure I didn't double up (or like I did in 2012, quadruple up) any candidates.

23 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

@Cal Why do I have Samuel Ashe in North Carolina and Jvikings also has the same guy?

I’m trying to find out the answer to this mystery still. Looking back in the history it seems like I may have mistakenly gave him to Jvikings because the last place I see him actually switch hands is Milton targeting him forever ago. But then in a post a month later I see that I had him in Jefferson (Jvikings) faction, seemingly never having actually having changed hands. On now I can’t find him on J’s sheet at all, but I see him referenced as his statesman on the MASTER sheet, but I actually see him on YOUR sheet… 

Looks like I left in him in some limbo. I’ll have to figure it out tomorrow, sorry!

20 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

My governor and representatives are in.  

Our faction also does not like to see the way the party is going so we are putting up John Milton once more for President.  We think that James Madison would be a good running mate if we can do this @Cal

you can only put up one alternate so it stays just as Milton. 

Three candidates on the Blue side are now vying for the presidency! Action to the rest of the team to nominate or pass. 

• Thanks 1

That means that our final lineup will be President Bartram, Postmaster Wythe, and Former Governor Richard Adams Jr on the Red team vs. Samuel Adams, Representative Paine, Secretary Jefferson, and Secretary Milton on the Blue team. 

Everyone has until tomorrow night to enter their candidates. Probably around 8PM EST I’ll go ahead and run the presidential election — you’ve all got until then to get your Representative and Gubernatorial candidates in. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cal said:

In the interest of fairness (since I’m sure many of y’all have busy weekends) I won’t make any deadlines on weekends, so y’all have until tomorrow night to get your guys in.

looked like I had only 3 guys not on a career path, so I ran them all for something and made sure the 3 listed on my sheet as Governors were tagged for re-election.  (one I'm not sure actually was unless he was chosen as a replacement for the MA guy who died, but Bourne had Gov listed under current office - so I put him in the MA Gov race either way)

As we go into tonight's presidential election, it occurs to me that we will likely have a nonagenarian president and nobody second in the line of succession. If Bartram dies and the VP becomes president, there is nobody left in the line of succession. Is there anything in the rules that handles what happens if the president leaves office without anybody to succeed them? I briefly looked through and didn't see anything.

Edited by DJBillyShakes

1 hour ago, DJBillyShakes said:

As we go into tonight's presidential election, it occurs to me that we will likely have a nonagenarian president and nobody second in the line of succession. If Bartram dies and the VP becomes president, there is nobody left in the line of succession. Is there anything in the rules that handles what happens if the president leaves office without anybody to succeed them? I briefly looked through and didn't see anything.

Anarchy 

On 1/29/2023 at 10:43 PM, Bushwa777 said:

Point of order....I was interested and looked up john bartram and wikipedia says born in 1699 so he would be 89 not 98

Interesting, I suppose V or someone inputting data put the wrong date in. 

19 hours ago, DJBillyShakes said:

Huh, you're right. IRL the Constitution provides that Congress is to select what officer is next in line, so we should have some kind of succession law we can pass in the next era, hopefully. We'll need to work to clarify that for sure in the rules. 

I'm working on the list of who are the electors in each state and should have that out momentarily. Every Kingmaker in every state gets a vote, and in states with no Kingmaker the governor gets to decide. This should be fun 😛 

• Like 1

Presidential Election of 1788: Electors to the Electoral College

Connecticut (7): @Cal 1 vote. 

Delaware (3): @Cal Governor George Read decides because there are no Kingmakers in the state. 

Georgia (5): @Cal Governor William Cushing decides because there are no Kingmakers in the state. 

Maryland (8): @Alexander-Nicholas Governor William Smallwood decides because there are no Kingmakers in the state.

Massachusetts (10): @Cal 1 vote. @Rezi 1 vote. 

New Hampshire (5): @Vols21 Governor John Sullivan decides because there are no Kingmakers in the state.

New Jersey (6): @ShortKing 1 vote. 

New York (8): @Cal 2 votes.

North Carolina (7): @Alexander-Nicholas Governor Samuel Johnston decides because there are no Kingmakers in the state.

Pennsylvania(10): RedModCPU 1 vote. @Alexander-Nicholas 1 vote. @Bushwa777 1 vote. 

Rhode Island (3): @Vols21 Governor Thomas Tillinghast decides because there are no Kingmakers in the state. 

South Carolina (7): @ShortKing 1 vote. 

Virginia (12): @jvikings1 2 votes. @DJBillyShakes 1 vote. @ShortKing 1 vote. BlueModCPU 1 vote. 

Where you have a vote, use it! 

31 minutes ago, Cal said:

Presidential Election of 1788: Electors to the Electoral College

Connecticut (7): @Cal 1 vote. 

Delaware (3): @Cal Governor George Read decides because there are no Kingmakers in the state. 

Georgia (5): @Cal Governor William Cushing decides because there are no Kingmakers in the state. 

Maryland (8): @Alexander-Nicholas Governor William Smallwood decides because there are no Kingmakers in the state.

Massachusetts (10): @Cal 1 vote. @Rezi 1 vote. 

New Hampshire (5): @Vols21 Governor John Sullivan decides because there are no Kingmakers in the state.

New Jersey (6): @ShortKing 1 vote. 

New York (8): @Cal 2 votes.

North Carolina (7): @Alexander-Nicholas Governor Samuel Johnston decides because there are no Kingmakers in the state.

Pennsylvania(10): RedModCPU 1 vote. @Alexander-Nicholas 1 vote. @Bushwa777 1 vote. 

Rhode Island (3): @Vols21 Governor Thomas Tillinghast decides because there are no Kingmakers in the state. 

South Carolina (7): @ShortKing 1 vote. 

Virginia (12): @jvikings1 2 votes. @DJBillyShakes 1 vote. @ShortKing 1 vote. BlueModCPU 1 vote. 

Where you have a vote, use it! 

My votes go to President Bartram and Postmaster Wythe.

1 hour ago, Cal said:

Interesting, I suppose V or someone inputting data put the wrong date in. 

Huh, you're right. IRL the Constitution provides that Congress is to select what officer is next in line, so we should have some kind of succession law we can pass in the next era, hopefully. We'll need to work to clarify that for sure in the rules. 

I'm working on the list of who are the electors in each state and should have that out momentarily. Every Kingmaker in every state gets a vote, and in states with no Kingmaker the governor gets to decide. This should be fun 😛 

I tried to do some light research on what a contingency might be. The line of succession wasn't created until 1792 (though obviously, there was an incumbent VP that entire time). On three occasions, the line has been empty. When Zachary Taylor took office, the president pro temp was vacant and the speaker too young. There was no president pro temp or speaker when Chester Arthur took office and when Grover Cleveland's first VP died. But it doesn't look like there was any idea of what they'd do if the presidency became vacant.