The Political Lounge

The Grassroots Divide: A 1772 Two-Player Populist Showdown

Cal

Cal: 
Governor Arnold gains +1 Admin, Unlikable. 
Governor Cushing gains Science. 

@Alexander-Nicholas
Governor Smallwood gains Energy. 
Governor Johnston gains Education. 
Governor Moore gains Housing.

@Vols21
Governor Sullivans gains +1 Governing, +1 Admin. 
Thomas Tillinghast gets -1 in all elections until 1794. 

@Rezi
Governor Fenner gains Transportation. 
Robert Bowie gets -1 in all elections until 1794. 

Everyone, please update your sheets and the GovStates sheet (I've already done the Representatives sheet). In the meantime, I'll be setting up for the draft of 1788. Thanks all, and here's to the Age of Federalism!

After everyone has updated their Faction tab (with gains and penalties and changing offices to reflect wins/losses) and GovStates tab, we can move onto the draft! 

Welcome to the Age of Federalism!

This is where the game is intended to begin using the Constitution, though the rules didn't have that when we started. Now, we've finally joined the rest of the world (other playtests) in an era that set the foundation for politics as we know them today. We'll be grapping with issues of handling revolutionary war debt, westward expansion, and the beginning of partisan division among party lines. Exciting! 

This typically means that we'd be banking points and resetting them, but given that none of you actually played until just now, we'll pretend we're just now starting and just use them for the purpose of determining the starting draft order. That means the draft order will be: 

Blue: @Bushwa777, @ShortKing, @Rezi, @jvikings1, BlueModCPU. (Rolled among Bushwa, SK, Rezi, and Jvikings ALL who tied for no banked points)

Red: @Alexander-Nicholas, @Vols21, @DJBillyShakes, Cal, RedModCPU.

The first step is going to be the draft. The top red picks are: 

1. Lewis R Morris. 

2. William Coxe Jr

3. Simeon Baldwin. 

The top three blue picks are: 

1. Albert Gallatin

2. Jesse Franklin

3. James Fisk

Draft ideologies are about to be up on the Main tab of the sheet. After you have finished updating all of your statesmen changes, please send me your preferred draft list. Thank you! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cal said:

After everyone has updated their Faction tab (with gains and penalties and changing offices to reflect wins/losses) and GovStates tab, we can move onto the draft! 

This is where the game is intended to begin using the Constitution, though the rules didn't have that when we started. Now, we've finally joined the rest of the world (other playtests) in an era that set the foundation for politics as we know them today. We'll be grapping with issues of handling revolutionary war debt, westward expansion, and the beginning of partisan division among party lines. Exciting! 

This typically means that we'd be banking points and resetting them, but given that none of you actually played until just now, we'll pretend we're just now starting and just use them for the purpose of determining the starting draft order. That means the draft order will be: 

Blue: @Bushwa777, @ShortKing, @Rezi, @jvikings1, BlueModCPU. (Rolled among Bushwa, SK, Rezi, and Jvikings ALL who tied for no banked points)

1. Lewis R Morris. 

2. William Coxe Jr

3. Simeon Baldwin. 

1. Albert Gallatin

2. Jesse Franklin

3. James Fisk

Draft ideologies are about to be up on the Main tab of the sheet. After you have finished updating all of your statesmen changes, please send me your preferred draft list. Thank you! 

Updated my sheets.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cal said:

1. Lewis R Morris. 

2. William Coxe Jr

3. Simeon Baldwin. 

1. Albert Gallatin

2. Jesse Franklin

3. James Fisk

Updated

• Like 1

A rule v gave his approval to awhile back that never actually made its way into the books would add to the draft enough politicians to each state for each party to fill all of the core offices — so in this case each state would have 1 generated politician capable of serving as Governor and 1-4 capable of serving as a Representative, per party. 

As it never actually made it into the rules we don’t have to do this, but I figured I’d offer the option if y’all wanted so that there’s less races where one person just cruises to victory because there’s just no one to oppose them. Agree react if you want that, disagree if you don’t 😛 

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Bushwa777 said:

So wow I have no governors at all! 

sounds like you're in the same boat I am.  I came in with 2 Gov's and no one in Congress.   1 of the Gov's lost a squeaker, so I guess if the other dies in office my faction will be totally left in the cold (at a time when the party seems to win everything).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vols21 said:

sounds like you're in the same boat I am.  I came in with 2 Gov's and no one in Congress.   1 of the Gov's lost a squeaker, so I guess if the other dies in office my faction will be totally left in the cold (at a time when the party seems to win everything).

We’ll have to come to a power sharing agreement for sure. When the Blue Wave inevitably comes in the midterm they’re sure to knock many of our incumbents out too. 

1 minute ago, Cal said:

We’ll have to come to a power sharing agreement for sure. When the Blue Wave inevitably comes in the midterm they’re sure to knock many of our incumbents out too. 

Pfft, there surely won't be any Blue Wave so long as you have Absolute Legend Bartram at the helm!

• Haha 1

Just waiting on one more draft order. I’ll do the draft when it comes in or in a few hours with CPU draft rules if not. 

In the meantime, if anyone is free to identify which states don’t have enough statesmen in each party to run for each office (and what those deficiencies are in each state) I would really appreciate it! That way when they’re generated I don’t have to spend time looking for those cases and generating and drafting. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Cal said:

Just waiting on one more draft order. I’ll do the draft when it comes in or in a few hours with CPU draft rules if not. 

In the meantime, if anyone is free to identify which states don’t have enough statesmen in each party to run for each office (and what those deficiencies are in each state) I would really appreciate it! That way when they’re generated I don’t have to spend time looking for those cases and generating and drafting. 

Thanks!

I can take a look at that.

16 hours ago, DJBillyShakes said:

image.png.66caa48c0f15a1a75c98bf7db7f9d779.png

@Cal Here is the number of pols with at least one legislative ability and at least one governing ability in each state. Starred are not currently states. I include the current draft class. All pols, including in the current draft class, are at least 25.

It looks like we'll be fine until we add a new state, then. However, if we add KY, TN, or OH we will definitely need to generate. 

Good news and bad news. 

Good news: I finally ran the draft. 

Bad news: I'm having to redo it because I realize stats are somehow off for everyone. I'm assuming a paste error but I can't fix it until later at my PC. I didn't notice until I saw Gallatin didn't have Admin, lol. 

1 hour ago, Cal said:

Good news and bad news. 

Good news: I finally ran the draft. 

Bad news: I'm having to redo it because I realize stats are somehow off for everyone. I'm assuming a paste error but I can't fix it until later at my PC. I didn't notice until I saw Gallatin didn't have Admin, lol. 

I might be able to go in and check the draft sheet in the next few hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJBillyShakes said:

@Cal I had a lull in class. (I promise that I'm a good student. 😝) There were some issues with the abilities. I re-copied over all the abilities, expertise, interests, demographics, independents/party flippers, and alternate states.

Thank you! I'll give everyone notice here that named statesmen are likely not are good/bad as you thought them to be so if you had named pols in your list please update it before I run it later tonight, then. My bad.

Just now, Cal said:

Thank you! I'll give everyone notice here that named statesmen are likely not are good/bad as you thought them to be so if you had named pols in your list please update it before I run it later tonight, then. My bad.

I do think that the traits were largely correct, though I re-copied them anyways. The political values shouldn't change drastically, but there are some upgrades and downgrades in abilities across the board.

• Like 1