The Political Lounge

Victoria 3 Thread

DakotaHale

4 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

GOP: Rural folk, landowners, industrialists, devout

Dem: Trade unions, intelligentsia

N/A: Petite bourgeoisie, armed forces (but the former could go Dem and the latter GOP)

This is very interesting because I always thought the Democratic Party was a larger and more complex coalition than the GOP. There should be more leftist interest groups, but I guess that doesn’t make a lot of sense in the context of the era. Hopefully they’re easily moddable for more contemporary settings.

Definitely prefer the way AMPU handles interest groups. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

This is very interesting because I always thought the Democratic Party was a larger and more complex coalition than the GOP. There should be more leftist interest groups, but I guess that doesn’t make a lot of sense in the context of the era. Hopefully they’re easily moddable for more contemporary settings.

Definitely prefer the way AMPU handles interest groups. 

Politics is a little gamey too. In my current Transvaal game I almost got into a revolution but they backed down and all of the IGs involved get sent straight down to zero. They come back of course but it allows you pass whatever laws you want for a certain amount of time.

• Based 1

If I'm being honest, I'm actually kind of bored of the game now.  Very little actually happens, at least as the US.  I cranked up the aggressiveness of the AI, and so far the only thing that happened is the Sioux declared war on me, but of course I was able to easily stomp on them.

Even a hands-off game is rarely interesting to check in on, as the map barely changes over the course of 100 years (outside of Africa).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

If I'm being honest, I'm actually kind of bored of the game now.  Very little actually happens, at least as the US.  I cranked up the aggressiveness of the AI, and so far the only thing that happened is the Sioux declared war on me, but of course I was able to easily stomp on them.

Even a hands-off game is rarely interesting to check in on, as the map barely changes over the course of 100 years (outside of Africa).

I noticed that in my observer game, although the US split into the US and the Free States of America. 

It is early released. I disliked Hearts of Iron until severs DLC came out to make it playable. 

Im still enjoying it/learning the game. Math and economics are my weakest areas so the learning curve is probably longer for me than more business-oriented people. 

I see a ton of potential. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Murrman104 said:

I personally found it much more fun playing nations like Sindh or Hawaii. You can micro without it being too tedious, theres a low floor so its satisfying to grow and working out the best way to dismantle the aristocracy is a fun challenge.

This.

I think I’m done with V3 until the first DLC. 

Here’s a challenge for someone good at this game. Play as Saxony and make the Sorbs (population group) prosper. I failed at this. My dad’s family tree is 75% Sorb, including my Germanized surname. Sorbs are Slavs closely related to Poles and Czechs, but they haven’t had their own nation since Charlemagne. The other 25% of my dad’s side is German. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've been playing off-and-on since release, with three nations so far. Overall, the game definitely needs some tweaks and flavor, but I really enjoy the core mechanics of the econ and political systems, and the war system isn't nearly as terrible as some people doomed about. 7.5/10, will be bumped up with updates and DLC. And even if the base game remains flawed, there's always mods.

8 hours ago, The Blood said:

I've been playing off-and-on since release, with three nations so far. Overall, the game definitely needs some tweaks and flavor, but I really enjoy the core mechanics of the econ and political systems, and the war system isn't nearly as terrible as some people doomed about. 7.5/10, will be bumped up with updates and DLC. And even if the base game remains flawed, there's always mods.

They released a major patch yesterday. 

I played for about 30-45 min yesterday as Haiti. I was doing really well until the French invaded me and won. 

I've really enjoyed the game so far. It has a pretty steep learning curve, but it's nothing compared to that of Victoria 2 imo. 

It's definitely a little barebones when it comes to flavor at the moment. I feel like there should be far more unique party names, politicians, and interest group names for starters. That's something I expect that modders will fill out in huge, huge flavor packs that would probably be not as great if done by Paradox anyway. 

The core game mechanics are pretty good. They fixed the calculation for building revenue somewhat in the last patch which makes it easier to predict what will be profitable and what won't be when choosing your next project. I'd like to see politics be expanded on a lot more, though. It's objectively superior to be socially liberal from the very getgo, and you can ban slavery and enact multiculturalism with no ill effects as early as 1842ish if you get lucky. I'd like to see interest groups have their pop attraction and size modifiers revamped significantly, and for unique coalitions of interest groups forming a party to have a different name. It'd be cool to see interest groups that are stuck together in a party have a chance to sway each other in some ways, too. If the Military and the Evangelicals have led together for decades, you'd expect there to be significant overlap in their beliefs even if they started off somewhat shaky. 

Overall, I'm going 8/10. Probably up to 9-9.5/10 by the end of it's development cycle and mods. I do believe it has a lot of potential to be one of the greatest games Paradox has made, if not the greatest. But, that would require a significant revamp of politics, better revolution mechanics, and features I cannot even imagine until they've been implemented 😛 

• Like 4