The Political Lounge

NFL Playtest 2: 1950-present

vcczar

Williams can stay on reserve for now.  He was kind of a "sure, why not, let's steal the only QB this draft" decision so if he goes I'm not terribly upset, but if he stays, that's great.  If possible both rookie DEs and Dove at reserve and then I'll try to unload Dove later.

• Like 1

Top Hats @10centjimmy

Your team is now set up:

• I've made rookie WR Kyle Rote WR2, and moved Leon Hart to the slot/backup WR spot. Rote is slightly better and more likely to peak. Let me know if you want me to reverse that. 
  • There's nothing really else to say about your team. You don't seem to have any position competitions except for the one above. Your rookie DT should be helpful as well. He's pretty decent. You only had 2 picks but both are above average for a notable player. They'd be the primary WR and DT on some teams but you got Pihos and Donovan, both historical HoFers. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Top Hats @10centjimmy

Your team is now set up:

• I've made rookie WR Kyle Rote WR2, and moved Leon Hart to the slot/backup WR spot. Rote is slightly better and more likely to peak. Let me know if you want me to reverse that. 
  • There's nothing really else to say about your team. You don't seem to have any position competitions except for the one above. Your rookie DT should be helpful as well. He's pretty decent. You only had 2 picks but both are above average for a notable player. They'd be the primary WR and DT on some teams but you got Pihos and Donovan, both historical HoFers. 

Works for me, thanks!

Pot Smokers @Rezi

Your team is now set up.

• You have no position battles.
  • Your best draft pick was F-Round MLB Walt Michaels.
  • The 1st overall pick, SS Konz, who was the preferred choice of many owners for some reason, is kind of a bust. He has a slight chance of peaking, but his abilities aren't that great. He'd be considered a good 3rd or 4th round pick. However, he fits a need position. 
  • While Michaels is your closest player to a standout, your draft did fill a lot of holes. You went from having no LBs to three rookie LBs. You now have a SS. The T you drafted now means you have 5 notable OLmen! That's huge. As such, it's terribly unlikely you'll be the worst team again. You improved significantly just by plugging holes, even if the plugs might not be All Pro calibre. 

Colonels @jvikings1

Your team is set up with your rookies. 

• Your team still has some weaknesses but you filled up a lot of holes, especially on defense. You also didn't have a notable WR and now you do, although he isn't really that great. He's better than nothing. 
  • Last year, you had both the Offensive Rookie of the Year and Defensive Rookie of the year. You have a big chance of at least getting Defensive Rookie of the Year as your 2nd round pick MLB Bill George is Hall of Fame quality. 
  • Furthermore, Leo Nomellini, who missed all of last season, and who was the 1st overall pick, is also Hall of Fame quality, and is finally healthy. 
  • You have no position battles at the moment, although Nomellini has edged out Stautner as the primary DT, based on ability. Both are excellent. 

Monarchs @Hestia

• You drafted two rookie DTs. One of them is pretty good. The other one is okay. Nevertheless, you had two holes at DT and they're now filled. 
  • You may want to trade one of your two reserve FBs when we get to that stage. Look for someone that needs a better FB and then offer them a specific "this FB" for "this DE" type of offer. You're more likely to get a response than if you say, I'm willing to trade this FB no one has heard of. 

Knights @mark2

• Your draft filled a lot of need positions. 
  • Your best draft pick was Hall of Fame calibre G Dick Stanfel. He replaces one of your less skilled starting G's as you had two G's already. I would recommend trading the reserve G during the Trade phase to a team without a G and name a specific player that you want to fill a hole on your team. 
  • Thanks 1

Americans @jnewt

• Your rookies are now set up one your team. You don't have any standout rookies, but you did fill a lot of need positions. I think the two G's will definitely help the high-clutch Otto Graham help his team overperform. If Graham stays healthy, and you have a good draft in 1952, then I think your team could position itself to be a top 3 team the season after this one.

Viceroys @ConservativeElector2

• Your rookies are set up. Also, one of your players from last FB Eddie Price, who sat out because of a contract dispute, is now willing to play. As such, you now have a starting blocking FB. 
  • Your best rookie is F-Round FS Jack Butler, who is Hall of Fame-calibre. He really elevates your defense. Your rookie WR is okay and he's fine to fill a hole until you can get a better WR2. 
  • Your 3rd string (reserve) QB Eddie LeBaron is no longer a rookie, so he's moved to base abilities. He's now better than your backup. You could try trading LeBaron, or you could move him to backup and your backup to reserve. 

Yodelers @ebrk85

• Your rookies are set up. WR Ray Matthews is a good WR2, mainly because his chance of peak is better than most WRs. Without peak, he's just average though. Your other rookie is trade bait. Some teams don't have a FS, so you should be able to get someone to take him if you target a specific owner and tell him what position you need. 

Mustaches @Bloot911

• You had only one draft pick but at least it was one of the few notable OLBs. Overall, your team needs a lot of help. You'll likely get a lot of draft picks next year. You have a DT at reserve and I would target a team without a DT and ask for a specific position from them that you need. 
  • Thanks 1

Painted Buntings @vcczar

• My rookies are up. It's quite possible I had the 1st or 2nd best draft of all the teams. I think the Colonels might have done better. I kind of have the advantage of knowing who these players are, although I only target the best players if I have a vacancy, and I did have vacancies. My team probably isn't competitive enough to make the Championship this year, unless I get a lot of peaks. My team is no longer terrible and is now 2nd tier. 

Ok, I'm just going to post the events tonight. Don't forget to respond to your individual draft analysis in one of the comments above, if I'm asking you a question. 

Many events didn't apply, but here are the ones that did apply. You are now given 2 events per year because I've added more events:

• Americans FB Fran Rogel leaves the NFL for the CFL @jnewt 
  • Americans Coach Curly Lambeau will retire after the end of the season, although he may be rehirable by someone sometime in the future.  @jnewt
  • Cardinals OLB Stu Clarkson is out for 4 games. He was injured last year too for a few games. @OrangeP47
  • Cardinals QB Bob Waterfield is out for 4 games. QB Bob Celeri will start for 4 games with rookie QB Bob Williams as the 4-game backup. @OrangeP47
  • Monarchs backup QB Jim Finks will have an A-clutch in the playoffs an replace the starting QB YA Tittle, who'll have a minor injury, if the Monarchs make the playoffs. This same event happened to Finks last year! @Hestia
  • Moose DE Ed Henke is out for 4 games. @Willthescout7
  • Painted Buntings Guard Abe Gibron suffers a major injury. He'll miss a season and a half and his abilities are reduced to the lowest a player can be until he's forced to retire! @vcczar
  • Pot Smokers QB Johnny Lujack loses some mobility @Rezi
  • Sad Clowns scout a great CFL player and convince him to join his team. You can't pick Rogel who just went to the CFL, but if you go to the Free Agent list there's a QB and a RB to choose from. You must choose one of these. He joins your team. @Cal 
  • Rebels rookie DE Jim Doran, who is to start, is having a contract dispute. You can either let him sit out the year, trade him to another team, or cut him (joins the CFL). @matthewyoung123 I'll assume you sit him out a year unless you state otherwise. Fortunately, you had another rookie DE on reserve, who will start for at least this season.
  • Viceroy's backup QB Joe Geri will get an A-clutch for the playoffs. He'll replace the starting Van Brocklin, who will get a minor injury. This only happens if the team makes the playoffs. Rookie FS Jack Butler has a contract dispute. This happened to your team last year! Anyway, you can make Butler sit without playing for a year, trade him, or cut him (he goes to CFL). @ConservativeElector2
  • Yodelers rookie WR Ryan Matthews will have a peak season as a rookie as part of an event. Also, Coach Greasy Neale announces that he will retire permanently at year's end. @ebrk85

33 minutes ago, vcczar said:
  • Viceroy's backup QB Joe Geri will get an A-clutch for the playoffs. He'll replace the starting Van Brocklin, who will get a minor injury. This only happens if the team makes the playoffs. Rookie FS Jack Butler has a contract dispute. This happened to your team last year! Anyway, you can make Butler sit without playing for a year, trade him, or cut him (he goes to CFL). @ConservativeElector2

Let him sit the season out.

Rezi @OrangeP47 @ebrk85 @matthewyoung123 @jvikings1 @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @Bloot911 @Hestia @10centjimmy @Willthescout7 @Cal @vcczar @jnewt

Last task: Trade offers. 

If you have someone who is uninjured on reserve, I recommend you suggesting a trade offer for that player selecting perhaps a player on reserve on another team that fits a vacancy on your own roster. 

Generally, a starter for a starter, backup for a backup, reserve for a reserve. You can also trade a next year draft pick, although that's risky because one might not get a notable pick. 

The more specific a trade you can offer, the more likely someone might respond to it. Just putting someone up for trade probably won't get a response, since most people are probably too busy to check the roster continuously. 

You have until Tuesday morning to make trade offers and respond to any of my other posts from today. On Tuesday, I plan to figure out the peaks and possibly process the 1951 regular season. 

9 minutes ago, Hestia said:

I propose Zollie Toth (FB) or Lynn Chandnois (KR/PR) as a trade with @OrangeP47 for Bob Dove (DE). I could see either being useful to either upgrade or prepare to fill a hole in the future, so I don't know which you would potentially prefer. 

I'll take Toth and it seems like he should probably be the starter.

• Thanks 1

I'd like to propose Hamilton Nichols (G) to @Hestia for Lynn Chandnois (KR/PR) and Cliff Lewis (FS) to @OrangeP47 for Pat Harder (K). Both of these exchanges take reserve players and make them starters on each team. Side note: if I remember correctly, Pat Harder was historically a FB alone for most of his career correct?

Edited by mark2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, mark2 said:

I'd like to propose Hamilton Nichols (G) to @Hestia for Lynn Chandnois (KR/PR) and Cliff Lewis (FS) to @OrangeP47 for Pat Harder (K). Side note: if I remember correctly, Pat Harder was historically a FB correct?

@OrangeP47 if you do this, you're giving up your Starting FB who is also a K, although not your starting K. You got Zoth, so you could trade Harder, who was a Pro Bowler.

Just now, vcczar said:

You got Zoth, so you could trade Harder, who was a Pro Bowler.

This was my thought process for him doing it, since Toth is not much of a downgrade, and it fills a gap at FS which is pretty glaring with the poor pass defense on his team.