The Political Lounge

NFL Playtest 2: 1950-present

vcczar

@vcczar I would also like to open up negotiations to acquire two of your fine defensive gentlemen. 

I am offering WR Crazylegs Hirsch and G Bruno Banducci in exchange for MLB Clayton Tonnemaker, OLB Bill Svoboda, and FS Lowell Wagner. I know that’s a 2 for 3 trade, but you made Crazylegs sound pretty good so maybe he’s worth it? Idk the NFL very well or these players so maybe this is a horrible deal for you, haha. 

52 minutes ago, Cal said:

Finally, perhaps @Rezi may be interested in acquiring another QB, Harry Gilmore, in return for another potential brick in my fortress, CB Emien Tunnell?

And that just about offers up all my offensive players! 😛 

No he's worse than my current QB

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Cal said:

@vcczar I would also like to open up negotiations to acquire two of your fine defensive gentlemen. 

I am offering WR Crazylegs Hirsch and G Bruno Banducci in exchange for MLB Clayton Tonnemaker, OLB Bill Svoboda, and FS Lowell Wagner. I know that’s a 2 for 3 trade, but you made Crazylegs sound pretty good so maybe he’s worth it? Idk the NFL very well or these players so maybe this is a horrible deal for you, haha. 

I’d rather have a defense, although Hirsch is really good. 

I was able to do a lot of prep for this this morning, so I got it done quickly. It also helps that the rosters aren't that large and we only have 12 teams. 

Here are the peak players for 1950. The Cardinals and Top Hats had the most players peak. The Cardinals are the only team to jump up in the power rankings post-peak:

C Bulldog Turner Americans
QB Otto Graham Americans
C Harry Ulinski Cardinals
Coach George Halas Cardinals
G Al Wistert Cardinals
K Bob Waterfield Cardinals
MLB Chuck Drazenovich Cardinals
QB Bob Waterfield Cardinals
T Paul Stenn Cardinals
G George Hughes Colonels
DT Arnie Weinmeister Knights
FB Jim Parmer Knights
RB Spec Sanders Monarchs
SS Tom Landry Moose
Coach Steve Owen Mustaches
DT Don Colo Mustaches
FS Lowell Wagner Painted Buntings
QB Sammy Baugh Painted Buntings
G Lou Creekmur Pot Smokers
Coach Paddy Driscoll Rebels
DT Bill Willis Rebels
G John Wozniak Rebels
CB Emlen Tunnell Sad Clowns
KR/PR Emlen Tunnell Sad Clowns
C Bill Walsh Top Hats
Coach Paul Brown Top Hats
DT Art Donovan Top Hats
G Dick Barwegen Top Hats
K Doak Walker Top Hats
KR/PR Doak Walker Top Hats
P Adrian Burke Top Hats
RB Doak Walker Top Hats
WR Pete Pihos Top Hats
P Norm Van Brocklin Viceroys
QB Norm Van Brocklin Viceroys
C Frank Gatski Yodelers
CB Russ Craft Yodelers
DT Mike Jarmoluk Yodelers

Rezi @OrangeP47 @ebrk85 @matthewyoung123 @jvikings1 @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @Bloot911 @Hestia @10centjimmy @Willthescout7 @Cal @vcczar @jnewt

I next have to determine the schedule. Every team will play a conference team twice, and then an outside of conference team in such a way that each team is playing exactly 12 games. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

A 9-3 record in the first season.. not bad and definitely more than I expected before drafting started. I think we can build up on that in Virginia. 

Oh yeah, we have geographic locations. 

I wonder when I can try to move to Alaska again 😉 

• Based 1

7 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

That moment Cal's torn between making the Sad Clowns good and making the Sad Clowns bad.

make the sad clowns sad

• Based 1

Calculating League Leaders

QB Bob Waterfield of the Cardinals @OrangeP47 scored the highest comp%. The CPU version will have actual stats. During 1950, historically, Waterfield actually led the league with 57%, which was considered outstanding then, but mediocre today, mainly because rules make passing easier now. Crazy that we got the historical winner in this stat for the year 1950. The only other person in the algorithm was Otto Graham for #1. They actually had a 50/50 shot each based on the labyrinth of criteria to get this top spot, each route led to either Waterman or Graham. 

Quarterback Bob Waterfield — Calisphere

Up next: Lowest Comp%

Calculating League Leaders cont...

Lowest Comp% goes to Sad Clowns @Cal QB Harry Gilmer. He not only has the lowest natural ability of completing passes among the starting QBs, but he also started for a team that was both a bottom 3 pass offense and bottom 3 rush offense. I'm wondering if he completed 40% of his passes! 

His passing form could use some help too...

From Harry Gilmer to Jalen Hurts: The 15 Alabama QBs drafted by the NFL -  al.com

• Sad 1

League Leaders Cont...

The QB to throw the most interceptions was Bobby Layne of the Top Hats @10centjimmy. This was a rare occurance. There's a chance that a top 3 passing offense might actually have the QB with the most interceptions because they pass more frequently than teams with much worst passing offenses. 

Layne was in competition for most interceptions with Harry Gilmer (had the highest chance of winning this), Bobby Thomason, George Ratterman, and Bob Waterfield. 

The Immortals | The Alcalde

League Leaders Cont....

Most fumbles by a QB was Bobby Layne, probably because he attempted to throw more than other QBs, while having a relatively bad Avoid Fumble rating. Harry Gilmer, who had a better rating for avoiding fumbles, actually had a higher chance of "winning" this by virtue of having such a terrible team, but the die landed on Layne. 

Urban Legends of the NFL: The Curse of Bobby Layne | News, Scores,  Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

• Confused 1